There’s nothing nicer than lying on a hammock with a book. Make sure your dream doesn’t become a nightmare.
Sounds amazing doesn’t it.
Reading the books you’ve always wanted to read.
Connecting with your family and friends.
Finally taking those trips you’ve been putting off.
I feel satisfied just thinking about the future I’ve worked so hard for.
But I didn’t always…
In The Last Ten Years I’ve Really Opened My Eyes.
Of course 2008 was a shock, a terrible time for everyone and honestly, I think I’ll always be recovering.
But I learnt some valuable lessons about life and about the choices I’d made with my money.
I was too trusting in the Government, I’d paid taxes and worked hard for twenty years and I don’t mind saying it – I was a little naive.
I had just over 350k in my IRA and my wife and I had big plans. After years of focusing on family and responsibility we were finally going to focus on ourselves and each other.
The moment I realized this dream was all at risk I called my advisor. But he just gave me the usual soothing platitudes and told me not to worry.
The stock market goes up and down, he said – that’s the way it works.
But Then Volatility Became A Steady Downward Slide.
I knew at some stage I had to do something, but I wasn’t sure what. It was 2010 by that point and as I was reading Nasdaq, I saw an article about Thomas Kaplan. (Forbes)
He had invested most of his wealth into gold, an unusual move at a time when everyone’s advisor was telling them to only allocate a small piece of the pie to precious metals.
He talked about the current economic situation being unstable and his words reflected my fears.
Then he started to talk about his reasons for the gold decision…
“You’ve got a perfect storm with no apparent solution. If the world does well, gold will be fine. If the world doesn’t do well, gold will also do fine … but a lot of other things could collapse.” Thomas Kaplan
I remember even now what he said, but Ok I have to admit it – I did go back and find the article to get the exact wording. My memory isn’t what it used to be.
After That I Did Some More Research…
I talked to my friends and found out that many of us were in similar positions.
These are respectable guys too, longstanding in the church and our community.
Some of us were CEO’s or Owners at the time. Others were well past the gold watch stage and enjoying six figure salaries.
The truth was, we were all still recovering from 2008 and there was some serious doubt about whether we’d all be retiring in the way we’d imagined.
- We were all Baby Boomers who’d lost money at the worst time possible.
- We were all wondering how wise it was to trust the Government.
- We were starting to feel suspicious of the security of our 401k’s and IRA’s.
- And we were beginning to realize exactly how little a dollar bill is worth.
I read and shared with them what I’d learned.
I kept seeing articles written by renowned people in the industry. Usually billionaires and respected financial advisors.
More and more people were beginning to point out the obvious problem with money.
If the Government runs out – they just print more.
And every time they do it – our retirement dreams and plans were becoming a little less realistic because the money we had invested was quite simply.
It Was Time To Do Something.
So I talked to a few different companies, did my research and made the decision to roll over my Roth IRA into a self directed IRA where I could invest in – you guessed it – Gold.
I’m sure you’ll already know this, but a self directed IRA is a little different from Simplified Employee Pensions (SEP) and the standard IRAs that most companies offer.
It’s still regulated by the IRS and by the custodian you choose to oversee and protect the assets in the account.
But you have a lot more control over where you want your money to go.
My friends and I all decided it was time to go with self directed IRAs and here’s what happened.
- We got diversification – our retirement was no longer relying on the value of the volatile American dollar.
- There were tax savings to be made and they were adding to the pile instead of depleting it.
- Those boring stock market discussions dropped right off because we weren’t checking the index each day.
- Politicians became slightly less annoying since they no longer had control over our future.
- Every time news of inflation and currency devaluation broke, we weren’t waking up in a sweat.
- We started to invest in more than just shares and mutual funds.
It was amazing, but even though the others were getting into real estate and venture capital, I still had my mind set on one thing.
That interview with Thomas Kaplan had stuck and he wasn’t the only one talking about precious metals…
There were all sorts of people choosing to invest in gold and I was determined to join them!
So I Used My Self Directed IRA To Invest In A Pot Of Gold
I know, I know, I’m being cheesy, my wife is probably wincing right now, but it’s the truth!
My gold investment was the best decision I’ve ever made.
- My retirement feels secure AND the pot is growing!
- I still have other investments, but this gives me diversity.
- I get to take advantage of tax cuts and saving money.
- I feel way less stressed – I even sleep better.
- There’s something amazing about owning something tangible.
There’s no doubt it’s a big decision, so make sure you don’t make it without doing the research.
The company I ended up going with know this, so there was no pushy sales people at my door.
They simply gave me everything I needed to know and left me to it.
Here are just some of the things the free Gold kit made me aware of!
To look out for setup and storage fees – some custodians charge an extra admin fee for the first year and some don’t. Many companies have sliding scale of admin costs that go up as your investment grows.
As with the admin fees, they may not be as flat as you think. It’s important to check how much storage space you have and what happens if you go over the limit! Because gold is so precious it needs to be securely stored and that does have its costs.
Type of Gold – (Bullion vs. Coins)
Watch out for Gold IRA companies who are trying to push one of these over the other! There are pros and cons for each, but if they’re trying to recommend one over the other, watch out. They may be making a higher percentage of profit on one type.
Do They Offer A Buyback Program?
What happens when you want to unload your precious metals?
Will they give you a fair price in return?
Make sure you are AS comfortable dealing with a Gold IRA company when you are buying the gold as well as when you are selling it.
That’s what I did.
I took my time, read everything, asked a lot of questions and did further research!
These Are The Things That Finally Swayed My Decision.
- Gold is the only currency that is recognized everywhere in the world.
- Gold was once used as the standard to set the value of currencies. Then there was no longer enough gold to cover all the paper money in circulation – and the Government couldn’t just print more.
- With their usual future focused attitudes, China & India are stockpiling gold supplies for good reason.
- The price of gold has steadily climbed over the last 50 years.
- It’s so rare that the world pours more steel in one hour than it has gold since Gold was first discovered over 2,000 years ago!
- If you had purchased $33,000 of gold in 2001, you could sell it today for around $129,551.12. Thats over 300% return on investment!
- When everyone was scrambling in the 2008 recession, the price of gold topped $1,000an ounce for the first time ever.
- The World Gold Council released a report in February 2009 that indicated the demand for gold rose sharply in the last half of 2008.
- People once queried whether Google or gold was a better investment? At the time they were both worth the same on the stock market. Then, in 2008, Google closed at $307.65 a share, leaving Gold to close at $866 an ounce.
So How Can You Get Your Hands On Gold For A Fair Price?
Gold can never be tarnished – it remains in high demand so it’s important to go through the correct channels.
The easiest way is with a gold IRA account. You’ll be able to invest a decent amount and use a professional custodian to take care of your affairs.
With a gold IRA all you’ll need to do is contact your custodian and tell them how much you’d like to invest.
The first step is to acquire a gold kit and make sure you find out everything you need to know.
Don’t Wait Until Demand Outweighs Supply!
It really is an issue of supply and demand, there’s a limited amount of gold on the market and if you don’t act soon – you risk missing out.
I’m sure this isn’t the first time you’ve heard this, but gold is the ultimate hedge against inflation.
When you look at continuing decline in the value of the US dollar, you can’t deny that something is going on.
And when that something – inflation – hits, I feel secure knowing that I’m going to be one of the people holding the gold.
I invested and haven’t looked back since, so I urge you not to waste another day!
Get the information and do the math – make the decision yourself and you may just be surprised.
Just click the link below and you’ll be taken to a page to request your free investor’s kit with everything you need to know.
But before I go, I want to share with you a quote that I’ve come to love.
In my mind it all comes down to this. There’s no need to be rude or barbaric about the acquisition of wealth. Just be smart and well prepared.
The quote is by King Ferdinand of Spain, but it’s an entirely appropriate way to look at the current financial situation.
“Get gold, humanely if possible—but at all hazards, get gold.”
Investing Legal Disclaimer
We are very passionate about investing and this is the primary reason for creating this website. Please take into account that the material on this website is produced out of a personal hobby. No information on this website should be considered professional financial or investing advice.
I am not a investing expert and I am not giving advice on this website. This is a personal website and notes to myself. None of my experience of qualifications mean anything and should not influence your investing decisions.